History - Inside the Church
Inside the Church
The Church was originally built as a simple rectangular shape without a gallery. The earlierst picture we have is thought to be around the late 1890s as we know the choir stalls were installed in 1896. The architect's early plans to get to this stage are also shown.
(Click for a larger version of all the pictures on this page.)
Around 1905/6 the screen on the right was added. Initially it was open...
By the 1920s, the screen on the right had been boarded over behind and the organ had been rebuilt....
The screen on the right was renovated by the British Legion early in the 21st century and the names rearranged to accommodate the centrally placed cross.
The oak Pulpit and Lectern were presented by Mrs. Caroline Blackwell in memory of her father, John Griffiths Frith, of The Highlands, now Beaudesert Park School, and her husband, the Rev. Robert Edward Blackwell, Amberley’s first Rector.
Over the years Amberley Church has received many gifts – a silver processional cross, silver and brass plates, brass cross and candlesticks, reading desks and book cases. Most of these items are in general use in the regular services.
The font used to be just inside the Church door on the north side (ecclesiastical). But when the vestibule was enlarged to accommodate the ramp the font was moved and is now placed near the organ at the front of the Church; this move has been very helpful because Baptisms usually take place during the morning service when the regular congregation is able to join with the family in welcoming a new member of the Christian Family.